Monday, September 12, 2005

New KS. After making like fifty posts on it after saying I'd probably post less now that I have a job, I feel stupid. But I had been going on a musically inspirational dry spell for awhile. And actually do have little to no time to listen to music as it is. The two new albums I got awhile ago, I listen to whenever I can, but still they sound bland to me. Though, maybe they are just bland albums. Who knows.

Anyway, my parents keep dragging me places to do stuff when I get time off. My dad made him help cut this plastic thing that's needed for my sister's house. I wanted to be like, "go to hell, if she wants it so bad, she should do it!" but I didn't have the heart. And actually, it didn't take up that much of my time. Actually what did is we went to lunch at the Shoppes I mentioned previously, at this restaurant that just opened that they were very excited about it opening. Then we went to menards to get some floorwash (also for my sister) and pants (for me, though I have a thousand pairs of pants. For some reason, it just makes my mom feel better to buy me pants. This is why I have more pants than any 80 people could ever wear and no place to put any of them, not vanity or a freakish love of pants on my part. I swear!). Then my dad and I saw Transporter II. And I wanted to finish my book. And then Ocean's 11 was on TV. So that's why I have no time to listen to music. I can only hope I get more chances soon.

Oh, and being distracted by movies made me think of one other thing I wanted to say the other day. Yesterday, I didn't listen to music because I was reading, and then my dad and I watched a few of the DVD's we have at home. I was actually floored when he picked About a Boy, because he's all about re watching all of our action movies, but I was listing out what we have and he was like, "I don't think I've ever watched that, let's watch it." Anyway, I was thinking about how much I love About a Boy. Cinematically, maybe it's no big deal, I learned a lot in Film Studies that basically propose you can't analyze movies like you do literature, plot and character and stuff are only secondary to stuff like camera angle, camera movement, editting etc. But if you did analyze it like literature, and/or analyze the book it's based on like literature, I would give it an A+. It has a lot of good themes, I used to identify with it a ton because Will's this guy who has no job and no close loved ones who fills his time up with useless things like... well, too many movies and music. I still identify with it, as the only thing that's changed so far is I have a job. And Will IS such a loveable character, despite if you met someone like that in real life (he's a huge liar, and a womanizer, and too lazy to get a job) you would probably think they were a bastard. But it's so well written that you kind of feel for him and why he does the things he does. And I have my various thoughts on all the other characters and the situation and themes etc. And it's funny! Even my dad, who certainly doesn't spend his time trying to analyze things to death like I do, enjoyed it, I'd hear him snicker at a joke once in awhile. Which was also refreshing, when you've seen a movie a thousand times before, sometimes you forget how funny the funny bits were to you the first time you saw it, until you see it again with someone new to it.

ANYWAY, I didn't mean to go off on a side rant about About a Boy there, it's just one of those movies (like Pleasantville) that I feel the need to get up on my soapbox and pitch to people if the subject comes up. But after that he let me pick the next one, and I felt like another comedy after that, so we watched My Fellow Americans, which if you havent' seen it, is one of the most hilarious movies ever, you should. Anyway, I got to thinking that there were underlying themes there that I'd never noticed, like how it's a funnier, more ridiculous Mr. Smith Goes to Washington in its foul-languaged, Macarena-in-the-background way.

And that day, I'd also came off the high of reading that Nick Hornby book, and had been thinking about books I like all day.

And anyway, the point I'm coming to after all this is basically: you know, I complain a lot about society, and how they only like crappy music and movies, but there are SO many good movies, and so much good music, and so many good books out there. I really feel lucky that there are as many smart, meaningful, witty, solemn, whimsical, hilarious, sad, enjoyable, loveable, profound things out there in the world, and that there are even more somewhere out there waiting for me to discover them.

That's all.

No comments: