Thursday, September 29, 2005

What a great day I had at work today.

First off, this one guy I knew from a couple of my film classes came in the store today, and not only recognized me, but talked to me for a really long time, which was awesome. We bonded over old scholastic bowl stories (yeah... I'm such a nerd for bringing it up, but then it turned out he was in scholastic bowl too.... score!) and how we have sell-out jobs now (he works this office job that he hates but makes good money at but might be getting into corporate video soon which makes me happy for him, I know how frustrating it is to want to get into something creative and be thwarted). It was a good conversation, which makes me feel horrible because I can't remember his name for the life of me.

But it's not like I totally forgot him, and then pretended to know him, I remember other things about him. Like, in school, I used to ALWAYS wear headphones no matter where I was walking to on campus, every day, constantly, and I think I began to get known for it. Anyways, I left it at class one day and was like, beating myself up over it and miserable, but it turned out the next day that he had noticed I left it and brought it back to me, which was so nice. AND he complimented the CD I had left in it. The only other time I ever really remember us interacting was not that long after that. I had this coat with crappy pockets that if I tried to put more than one glove in, they'd fall out so I kept one in each. And we happened to be sitting together that day and I put one glove on (the place we had our screenings was freezing) and hadn't gotten the other out and he made some Michael Jackson one glove joke. Oh, and I think he's one of the many people who've made some comment about my weird drawings over the years.



Also, my one friend I still have in this town visited me, and I thought that was nice. I couldn't really talk to her long, as right when she came up (unlike when the guy came up and I had nothing I had to do) I had a manager around, the one manager who seems the most strict, so I kind of didn't want to linger talking.

And I got another visit from this professor I still talk to and have dinner with from time to time, the guy who was professor for the 3 week course I took abroad. He's really cool for a professor, so we still keep in touch and I had e-mailed him about where I work now. I couldn't talk to him hugely long either, but he made a joke about stealing books which made me feel a little bad, because I don't mind joking about stealing books other times, but actually at the store I don't want someone overhearing it and taking it seriously.

Then, after close when we'd finished everything we had to do for the day, we had some time to kill so the manager told us to go and look at the promotional stuff to keep occupied. The promotional stuff is free copies of books and CD's we get to look through and keep. The bad part of that, though, is most (if not all) of the stuff is crappy. Anyway, we were talking while we did it and I love my one coworker now because she told me she thought I was really hilarious, and was actually telling someone else from work that the other day and they agreed too. Anyway, I picked up a ton of stuff on the theory that at least one of them HAS to not suck, right?

And a couple of things on the theory that they were so horrible they had to be funny, including a cd of gospel songs covered reggae style and a book that was like, "how sistas should act" or something else to do with sistas. My coworker who thinks I'm hilarious picked up this one book that everyone in the store makes fun of constantly but that is actually a bestseller (only book in the lot we'd heard of; the only band anyone's heard of in the CD's was Lonestar) and a book with a cool looking cover.

Also, I had strawberries and meatloaf for dinner.

No comments: