Monday, September 26, 2005

Well, at work I've been keepering (putting anti-theft devices on CD's and DVD's) for a solid day and a half. I used to kind of like keepering, because it's easy and you can kind of let your mind wander, but now I'm thoroughly tired of it. What do you bet I do more tomorrow? The one thing about the job I don't like (well, aside from the erratic sleep schedule) is that anything you get assigned to do one day turns up like a sore thumb. You go off on break, you have a day off, you have a week off.... and still somehow no one's finished whatever it is, and the managers remember that you were working on it a week ago and make you do the rest of it so they don't have to explain anything to a new person.

I have also been watching Home Movies. Home Movies, for those who don't know, is (was?) a cartoon on Adult Swim on cartoon network. I used to be quite enamored of it back when I had cable. Except even when I did have cable I didn't get to see it that much because they had it scheduled fairly randomly. Anyway, I liked it so much that (in case you can't remember) I used to put quotes from it up on here so I wouldn't forget them, only I would jot them down pretty fast and mess them up a little so I would say that they were "hastily paraphrased," which is how I came up for the title of my blog back when I was on googlies.net. But I digress.

What Home Movies is actually about is this 8 year old kid named Brendan Small who fancies himself a director and is always making these short films with his friends Melissa and Jason (Melissa's kind of the straight-man and Jason's kind of the Ralph Wiggam of the group). I think it's on adult swim more because little kids wouldn't get it more than being inapropriate for them. There are a few swears and the soccer coach is kind of a verbally abusive drunk, but I think those could be editted out well enough if the creators wanted to (though Coach McGuirk is actually the most hilarious character--he has a chiquita banana tattoo and a tattoo of a cow logo from some brand of cheese or other, and he likes to trace his varicose veins with highliter). Anyway, I don't know if everybody would like it, it's pretty quirky, and the sort of deadpan delivery is half of what makes it funny to me. Also: the drawing on it is not that great. You know a cartoon is poorly drawn when you look at it and are like, "Hmm, I think I could draw that." And you've SEEN my drawing, folks, so you know that's some poor drawing.

Well, I saw a DVD of the first season at the store. And I told myself not to buy it. I can afford it and everything, but I read all these blogs of people who buy TV shows on DVD and I'm like, "Seriously. How much time do they have that they will pay to own a whole TV series on DVD and watch it enough times that it makes it worth it?" Also, I don't want to throw away money just because I can, if I do that I'll never make it out of my parent's house. But the thing about this job is: it wears you down. You go out shopping somewhere, and see something you want, you can tell yourself no and move on. But if you're at that store ALL THE TIME, and see whatever it is you want ALL THE TIME, it kind of wears you down. And I wanted to see the episodes of Home Movies I never had. And there's no way to rent them. So.... I bought Season 1 and have been watching it. So there you go. I will be living with my parents forever because of Home Movies (okay, not really, it was only 30 bucks).

No comments: