Saturday, October 09, 2004

Scar Tissue wasn't really that great. I mean, the writing style is okay (not quite sure how much of it is Anthony & how much of it is the guy who has some co-writing credits on there) though he is fond of overusing a couple phrases and making tons of hippie references to like, mother earth and everything.

And I knew the book would be heavy on the sex, drugs, & Rock 'n' Roll. But it is WAY heavier on the first two than the last one. I mean, there are bits of the book that deal a lot more with the band than others. You get some of the references in the songs, and how the band got together and the revolving door lineup. And there are some occaisional interesting glimpses into the man himself's life. But the book as a whole is way more preoccupied with drugs.

Which, I can see why he goes on about it. He and the RHCP were notorious drug users, it'd be more out of place if he didn't mention any of it. And I can see why it would be helpful for anyone who has a drug problem to read this book. And I can see why he wants to illustrate how torturous the road to sobriety was for him. But it's torturous just to read about his road to sobriety. Since the nature of his journey, similar to a lot of drug addicts, was to relapse 80 million times before getting clean for (hopefully) good, it's horrible reading. "I had this relapse. Then I sobered up. Then I had that relapse. Then I sobered up. Then I had another relapse...." ad nauseum. You begin to wonder if the dude will ever sober up for good and get onto some other topic.

The sex bits were just mostly boring. And again, fairly repetative. I can see why he mentioned his long term relationships, but some of the one night stands, I wanted to be like, "Okay. I get it. You're a rock star. You get a lot of tail. Move on."

The last problem I had was that I really didn't get into the Chili Peppers until Californication. Honestly, if I'd never heard of them before and you gave me some of their early work and were like, "You're going to love these guys someday," I'd think you were the high one. Except for anomalies like "Under the Bridge," I really wasn't a fan. So I was really waiting for that part of the book.

Which, some of the Californication stuff was interesting, about rebuilding the band after getting John back. But he never really explains why the band changed so much. And lets drugs and another girlfriend overshadow that part of the book. And the newest album, By the Way, my absolute favorite: barely mentioned. Obviously, he felt that his life story kind of lost dramatic focus after all the drug conflict was over. So it was kind of... "Yeah, after Californication I finally realized the true way to sober up was to work at it and help others, I got a dog, I dumped my girlfriend, we put out another album called By The Way and I've been sober for 4 years now. The end."

By the way I tried to say I know you
from before


--"By the Way," RHCP

No comments: