Friday, October 01, 2004

Oh, I did forget to blog something great that happened to me last night.

I'm not really a baby person. I mean, my mom or dad could be in a room and a total stranger's baby comes in, and they light up, that's how much they love babies. Whereas I'm not exactly sure where my maternal instinct went or if I have one at all. Usually when babies do something "cute," I usually think it's pretty lame. I've tried to get into being an aunt, but most of the time find it a bit of a disappintment and resign myself to waiting until he gets old enough to do something besides constantly vomit on himself before expecting much.

But I got him to smile last night while I was holding him, it was the first time I'd seen him do it up close, and the first time he did it because of something I did. And my heart just went whooosh with love for him. Isn't it weird how simple our expectations are for babies? I wish I still had the power to make someone's heart do that because of my smile.

I've spent most of today at IBA (Illinois Broadcasting Association). I really wish I were better at kissing ass and getting people to want to offer me fabulous jobs, events like this would probably be a lot more fun and/or productive for me. As it is, I mainly handed out resumes, tried to chat up a program director from Decatur and some woman from an educational cooperative, and ate a really bad buffet lunch. There wasn't even any meat. What is that? I ended up eating breadsticks and shredded cheese.

I thought a lot about the Army
Dad said, "Son, you're fuckin' high!"
and I thought yeah, there's a first for everything
so I took my old man's advice
three sad semesters
it was only fifteen grand
spent in bed
I thought about the army
I dropped out and joined a band instead.


--"Army," Ben Folds Five

No comments: