Friday, February 10, 2006

So first off: a meme. Click the link and pick a few of the words that you think describe me. It's sort of an excercise to see how one's own image of self compares and contrasts from what other people percieve. It takes little time, is really easy, and I'm really curious, so if you don't do it, I'll be irritated. So you better do it! (um, good thing "bossy" isn't on the list)

Secondly: I meant to mention it before, because this actually happened a couple days ago, but I was shelving some stuff, and out of nowhere, Lister was like, "Have you ever considered joining the Army?"

And the weird thing is: I have. I totally wanted to when I was a senior in high school. I did not have the slightest idea of what the hell I wanted to do with my life, and I figured I wouldn't have to think about this scary predicament if I was surrounded with people telling me what to do all the time and didn't have to think for myself.

Also: when I was a freshman in college (both of these times, by the way, are pre 9/11) I totally thought of becoming an army translator because this army recruiter dude came in to my French class and made it sound like the awesomest job ever.

Both times I decided not to, because I do not think I would get through Basic Training. I have bad asthma, am a sedentary person (though, I found out during my stint as a photographer, I actually do kind of like physical activity) poor coordination, and I hate running more than anything on this earth. Also, I am a picky eater and when my Dad mentions his Army days, it sounds as if you do not get much say as to what you eat.

I asked him why he said that, and he said I had the attitude for it. But the thing is: I actually think I would suck at being in the Army precisely because of my attitude. I hate taking orders from people. AND I always want a reason. When I was little and my parents told me to do something, I would not do it until I badgered them into telling me why. I don't know if it's because my mom's so autocratic or what, but I have a real problem with authority. My respect is earned, not automatically given, which probably would make me a trouble maker as far as the Army is concerned. Also: I love to talk whenever I want. I'm a slob. Et cetera.

I think why he said that (and I asked him if it was a compliment and he said yes, he apparently was in the army a long time) is because whenever they ask me to do anything, I'm like, "Okay." The whole difference though, is they ask, not tell. I mean, technically I couldn't say no, it's my job I'd get fired if I didn't do what they say, but that thin veneer of "well maybe its your choice" makes me swallow it a lot easier than just being ordered around. Especially without being told why.

Anyway, I got to thinking about that.

No comments: