Friday, September 20, 2002

It really hits me when I'm hanging with other monkeys, thinking of shit to say

Oh: and why I'm annoyed at functions: I didn't read the book like I should, and I'm too stupid to get them from just the lecture.

Functions have caused me to perfect what I call, "The Monkey School of Programming."

It's based on the theory that if you put 1,000 (or any number, really) monkeys in a room with 1,000 typewriters for an infinite amount of time, that one of them would eventually, by chance, come up with a completey accurate copy of Hamlet (or at least some of these).

So basically when i'm typing in function parameters, I'm using that school of thought: Eventually I'll get it if I keep changing things and seeing if it comes any closer to correct. So, I've actually finished two programs without understanding the functions used in them any more than a monkey understands hamlet. And it does take damn near infinity, too.

I also hate the >> and <<'s that go with cin and cout, because I forget which is which, and put in the wrong one, and it takes me about an hour to realize the error that comes up (ostream blah %^&*( blahdy blah &*)*&%F% &&&&&& @@@@ or something similar) means "you put >> when you really meant <<."

And yes, this is my minor.

No comments: