Friday, September 20, 2002

It's been too long

I have to be the dorkiest person in the history of dorkdom. In ACS 168 (Applied Computer Science--168 being particularly loathed by most right-thinking people) we're basically learning the C++ language. Right now we're doing functions, these little bits of the program that don't go in the main program. (I'll get onto how much I hate
functions later) Well, to make that function start you have to call it. You have to do a "function call."

For a week now, I've had "This is a Call" by the Foo Fighters in my head because of this. (My brain just works like that. In England, on the underground, I'd get Ben Folds Five's "Underground" in my head. I'd get BFF's "Philosophy" in philosophy class. Now that it's spread to non-BFF songs, I'm a little worried) The chorus goes:

This is a call to all my past resignations
this is a call to all
this is a call to all my past resignations
it's been too long

And on the walk home: I start actively thinking of how to code that chorus into a function. (Do I get the dorkdom prize yet?)

void all_my_past_resignations()
{
cout >> "It's been too long";
}

would be the function, and then calling it would pretty much be the same as the first line of the code I just typed out, and the function would pretty much print "It's been too long" onto the screen. Yea, I'm a humongous loser.

Sadly, I was SO immersed in thought over EXACTLY how I would C++ code part of a Foo Fighters song, that when Ed (from the trip to England, I PROMISE I'm getting the account up soon) saw me and tried to get my attention, he had to practically hit me with a giant novelty mallet to do so.

I apologized, without saying the reason I was so deep in thought, more focusing on the fact that nobody on earth could get my attention when I'm walking along. And this is true. Naked Matt Damon could be screaming my name at the top of his lungs and I'd walk right past, thinking, "Would I make all_my_past_resignations an int function or a void function?"
He said it was alright because I had headphones on.
I neglected to mention that I don't notice people even when I'm not wearing headphones.

At this point, I have to mention, I have a little bit of a crush on Ed. I knew we were never going to end up hooking up (he told me his life story in Ireland, including what he's looking for in a girlfriend, which were obviously not-me traits, and that he's too busy for a girlfriend anyway. I don't think he had picked up that I had a crush on him, I think it was just something to talk about, but anyway: pretty sure it's not going to happen. And I'm okay with that--in a small way, I fall in love with nearly every guy who says more than two words to me, so I'm used to it.), but I still thought we could be friends after the trip. I didn't think we were, though, because he blew me off when I was trying to talk to him on AIM after that, and we'd not had any contact since.

So the fact that he had actually put the effort in to get my attention made me muchly gratified. Being oblivious is cool sometimes, because you definately know who actually wants to get your attention, as opposed to people who say hi because they think they ought to.

Anyway, he was going in the same direction for a little while, and we talked and he put his umbrella over me. Nice: because I'm too oblivious to the rain to remember my own umbrellla.

Speaking of forgetting things: I forgot the printed out code to the last program I had to write. I'm so annoyed, I thought of it a million times while I was still writing code, and now I'm going to get graded off for it, even though they have not one, but two electronic versions of the code, my algorithm, my desk check, my IPO chart.... Grr...

No comments: