Friday, March 17, 2006

So I've been off sick the last few days because of my throat. I really feel like a baby, because in most respects: it's not that bad of a cold. I'm a bit phleghmy, but not that bad, and no real coughing either.

BUT, I feel like I've been gargling with razor blades. Talking to customers, much less explaining our elaborate rewards program would be cruel and unusual punishment, in my opinion.

I was thinking maybe I had tonsilitis or strep or something, so I went to a doc in the box today, and the dude pretty much took two seconds with me and basically told me it is a run of the mill infection (though he did confirm it's not a cold per se, I just have an infection in my throat). It bugged me, because when I'm that much pain, I'd like a diagnosis that is pretty much, "YOU'RE RIGHT TO BE ALL BITCHY AND WHINEY ABOUT IT, IT IS A HORRIBLE DISEASE, BUT IT IS SOMETHING THAT IS CURED QUICKLY, HERE ARE PILLS THAT WILL CURE IT QUICKLY." Or at least for them to consider the possibility that it's something crappy, like giving me a culture for strep or something. But he DID give me antibiotics, so on the off chance it is strep, they'll help.

I am a little worried, though, that I might have a flap of skin down there that is infected that won't really be helped much by regular antibiotics, because one time I pretty much did have that happen and instead of giving me regular pills for it they had me gargle with antibiotics and then swallow them. It was weird, unpleasant, but finally cleared up the problem. But of course the doctor didn't really want to listen to me about that either. I mean, I can't blame them for trying to move people through quickly, especially since the flu's been hitting this area hard lately, but I'd just like to have some sign that the doctor has actually listened to what I've said and ruled it out due to empirical evidence rather than, "I don't have time to listen to this stupid hypochondriac, I have to move her out so I can get the next one in."

Anyway, my throat has been feeling a liiittle better today, though I don't know if it's from the antibiotics or the fact that I just gave up trying not to have much sugar, and have just beem sucking on hard candy like it's going out of style (as soon as one is finished, I stick the next lozenge in immediately).

But, I don't know if it's all the sugar, or all the drugs, but my poorly balanced to begin with digestive system has gone crazy too, which sucks. Also I can't help but wondering if all that sugar is making my throat an even more hospitable place for this infection to live.

Speaking of drugs: everyone who has ever told me (and this is actually quite a lot of people over the years) that Vicks Chloroseptic is a miracle drug on sore throats: you are idiots. It does NOTHING to make me feel better. Also: I have to wonder if this is even the same drug, as most of them also frequently mentioned it is the most godawful thing they have ever tasted, and I have tasted far worse.

Everyone who has ever told me that Nyquil helps you sleep: um... okay, I blame this on myself, actually, for sleeping all day and also far too regularly taking over the counter sleeping pills. I also blame the throat infection for keeping me in screaming pain. But let's just say that last night I could not get to sleep for six hours of trying, and that was with 2 cups of chamomile herbal tea, a dose of Nyquil, and what is quite probably an unsafe amount of over the counter sleeping pills in me even when not accompanied by Nyquil.

No comments: