Saturday, March 25, 2006

YAY. I did get up the cojones to mention the appartement to my parents, and they were actually quite cool about it. ROCK.

I also saw V for Vendetta today and Goodnight & Good Luck. Both quite good, though I totally have some disagreements with V's ideology.

Both more political than I generally go for, too. In fact, Goodnight & Good Luck addresses this. Murrow takes down McCarthy, which I think anyone can agree is a valuable service to society, and immediately after his show is replaced by some stupid game show. Basically because people, such as myself, would rather have mindless entertainment than think. So I kind of felt like I was a kid who just stole a cookie or something and someone totally called me out on it. For the record, though: it's not that I don't watch news and politics because I'm too lazy, it's that I actively avoid them because I am a chronic worrier and watching the news frankly terrifies me. Showing me the news is like making an 8 year old watch a slasher film. I'll seriously be up every night for weeks. Still probably a crappy excuse but hey, at least I vote, which is more than I can say for 40% of the country.

V for Vendetta -- meh, I liked it as a movie but if I ever met anyone who was like, "Oh my god, I feel the same way! It's like they read my mind!" I would have to punch them in the face. It's kind of like Fight Club in that it points out society's ills and then shows you how to go about fixing them, only the way to fix them is just as horrible and/or asinine as the original problems. And while you can tell in Fight Club that Fight Club realizes Fight Club is a stupid way to solve society's problems, V for Vendetta seems to lack that self-awareness. I mean, I don't think the Wachowski brothers are all telling people, "blow up shit! It'll fix everything!" but I do think they see V as a better, more effective hero than he actually is.

Bad news: My computer won't start. I've had it happen before, so I'm hoping it will start working again like before, but who knows.

No comments: