Sunday, May 07, 2006

So, I've talked to Optpri, and she's come up with a stunningly brilliant yet simple plan of action RE: dealing with my parents:

At this age, especially since I'm moving out soon anyway, they do not have the right to tell me I can't do anything unless I give them that right. So basically, I go into this thing saying, "Oh, by the way, I'm going to take a trip." Instead of "Can I go on a trip?" or "I might be going on a trip." Of course, given the nosiness of my parents, (my mom even quizzed me on why I was on the phone with someone this late at night (10:30 p.m.), and who that someone was after I got off the phone with Optpri) I will have to tell them exactly what I'm doing, because they won't take something vague like, "to go and see a friend" for an answer.

I will try and be nice about it, but in the end, it's basically going to all hang on whether or not I chicken out, which hopefully I won't.

Anyway, I'm waiting until I have all my ducks in a row on this before telling them. I want to actually get the time off (I've already put in a request) and then get the plane tickets so that if all else fails I will have non-refundable plane tickets to stiffen my resolve. On top of that, I would also like to talk to my future landlord. I can take a month or two of horriffic guilt mom, but if the appartement should fall through for some reason, I do not want to have to endure even more horrific guilt mom. Mouse says he's working on it, though, and I will harass him more about it if he doesn't get it done soon. So... um... if you happen to meet my parents somewhere, breathe a word about this to them and you are wearing your guts for garters.

Lastly, if I were a religous person, I would have to thank Jesus for two things: 1) talking to Optpri. I just... it sucked not being able to talk to someone who knows my parents about this. And it still sucks, but discussing it with someone who has had dealings with parents similar to mine has done a lot to build my confidence. 2) Wolf Parade. I'm not even kidding, they make me so freakin' happy. When I have things like this going on, especially with the move on top of it, which I'm also having anxiety over, I tend to worry, mull over, run through scenarios, poke and prod at every angle of the thing. I have had a ton of trouble sleeping. But then I start listening to Wolf Parade and I'm like, "Oh, screw tomorrow. At least I am enjoying an AWESOME cd RIGHT NOW." And it physically makes me smile.

Oh what the hell, I'll hedge my bets: Thank you Jesus.

No comments: