Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Today had the potential to really suck. Reason 1: I did not get very much sleep last night. Which, by the way, if I am cranky lately or seem cranky in the immediate future, please cut me a little slack as I have not slept well since APRIL. This morning I was especially tired, though, because last night I stayed up listening to music in hopes of sleeping better. It didn't work, as none of the music made me sleepy and I kept thinking of one more thing I wanted to listen to. So, Jupiter (disc 1) of the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album (Stadium Arcadium) made me want to listen to Wolf Parade made me want to listen to Aqualung made me want to listen to an old Saves the Day (Stay What You Are). I can't really explain the logic there, or why faster stuff like Saves the Day usually DOES help me sleep.

Reason 2: I was at registers all day.

But actually, I am in an awesome mood!

Reason 1: Red Hot Chili Peppers! I don't know yet if Stadium Arcadium is as awesome as I hope. The weird thing about me is I never know what I like right away. I can make educated guesses... but in the end, I sometimes fail. And the irony is if I like something right away, I only like it a short while, whereas sometimes if I don't like something right away, if I do end up liking it later, I love it forever. But, I do really like 3 songs right now and think I will like most of the mellow, non-funkish (I am the anti-funk) songs, which are about half of it. 28 tracks are a lot to digest, though, so no final verdict. Listening to it does forcibly make me happy in the previously stated manner of Wolf Parade though.

Reason 2: I got my application for the appartement today! I have it all filled out! The wheels are turning! I'm on the way to freedom!

Reason 3: the 'phew: cutest child in the universe. Obviously I'm biased, but still... that little kid is crazy. My dad was hitting this wiffle ball off a tee for him, and the 'phew and I "raced" to get the ball. I'd let him win, and he'd be running back to the tee with the ball, but I'd pretend I was still trying to get it, and he'd laugh and say, "mine!" One time I won, and said "mine," and it was not so funny to him. HILARIOUS TO ME THOUGH. I gave it back to be a good sport, though.

Later the ice cream man came around, and the 'phew actually rocked out* to the music it played the whole time it was approaching. And the 'phew likes it when we dance too, so the ice cream man had to pull up to a bunch of idiots doing toddler-like dancing to the song of his truck. Which, by the way, he seemed kind of surly and un-ice cream man like to me. Not that I've ever met an ice cream man before, but he did not seem that gleeful. Not that I blame him. I would go insane if I had to listen to the ice cream man music that long. It kind of freaked me out as it was.

Anyway, I can tell I genuinely love the 'phew because I let him put his oreo-y (my sister got an oreo ice cream sandwich, and the 'phew got to share with all of us) saliva all over my orange push-up. Multiple times. I think he actually liked mine the best because it is a lick, not bite, desert, and he was hurting his teeth on the others. I think it helped make up for stealing his ball.

Other incidental things that made me laugh:

I think Renegade is either finally warming up to me or completely hates me. Sad that I can't tell the difference. Anyway, I've started harrasssing him at work, and he acts like I'm insane. A conversation we had:

Me: So how do you like the new inventory guy?
Him: What? Why do you care? Do you looooove him?
Me: No. I've had one conversation with him. I was just curious.
Him: I'm going to tell him!
Me: Okay. Err... what is his name again?
Him: It's ___. But you can call him sexy ____.
Me: Okay. And when he asks why I'll tell him it's your idea, and that you find him very sexy.

Then later, Renegade and El Camino were talking about this Victoria Secret bag some customer had left behind that they'd brought a return in with.

Me: Um.. why are you guy's so excited about a Victoria's Secret bag? I mean, it's just a bag.
Renegade: It had underwear in it! It could've had a bra!
Me: I bet you would like to see that bra on sexy ____.

When I said that I was laughing so hard I could barely get it out, and Renegade acted like I was insane.

Also, my brother in law. He can be annoying sometimes (does not know when to let up when teasing someone) but he totally cracked me up with this comment today:

Me: It makes me feel British (on why I like to pronounce the word "schedule" shed-ju-al."
Him: Do you know what makes me feel British?
Me: What?
Him: Being white.

____
* By the way I think, and everyone I've mentioned this to agrees with me, that once the 'phew is out of the stage of liking "The Wheels on the Bus" type music, I should get control of what he listens to. Yes, I listen to Fall Out Boy. BUT, my sister and her husband listen to Gwen Stefani. That's just the tip of the iceberg! AND I would not play Fall Out Boy to someone with an impressionable young mind. Save my nephew from pop radio and vote yes on giving me his musical upbringing!

No comments: