Monday, April 28, 2003

Also: a couple other problems with the sitcom

1) Slang. I'm finding it very difficult to write the English drummer's English slang. I'm also finding it difficult to write the lead singer's street-slang. I'd dispose of at least the lead singer's slang, but if I write it the way I generally write things, the lead singer and the bassist (who talks regular) sound like the same person. Hell, even with the slang, the English girl gets kind of cardboardy too. My problem is I have troubles making characters say something different from what I'd say if I were in that same situation. So it's like regular me (bassist), street-slang me (lead singer), English me (drummer) as opposed to regular me, regular me, regular me. But I'm bad at the slang.

2) Resolving the plot. Getting MC Hammer out of their house. Proving difficult. I was originally trying to find a way for them to remove the reason they even let Hammer in the house (he's blackmailing the bassist with pictures of him in a mullet), but I wasn't sure how to go about that. I've had several other good suggestions: have Eminem come over and scare him out, get MC Hammer to join the latest Eagles reunion tour.... But those both sound sort of deus ex machina. (Yeah, I can't believe I used a term with "god" in it to describe Don Henley and Eminem either)

3) My characters are TRYING to be funny, because I'm trying to be funny. Like always, I just have them sitting around and insulting each other while the occaisional little thing happens to them. I should work harder to make the characters do things instead of just have them happen to them. Also, my character's reactions to the situation should be funny, rather than them trying to be funny. That is why it's a "situation comedy."

All of this: easier said than done. easier said than written, anyway....

No comments: