Monday, April 07, 2003

Oh, I also have to give kind of a shout out to the reason I was complaining in the first place today. In Radio class they asked us if this semester we'd decided a) we REALLY want to go into radio because this semester has been so great or b) the whole thing had soured us on radio. All of these people started gushing about how they loved radio, but I raised my hand and was like, "Yeah, I've soured on radio."

And I have. First off, if you get a job, you're unlikely to get a job in music you like. I've had jobs where they've piped in music from stations I don't like before. It sucks ass. It's so repetative that by the third time in an hour you've heard, "What A Girl Wants," you want to drive to Christina Aguilara's house and strangle her with your bare hands. Even if you liked Christina in the first place. So any music station (due to repetativeness) is going to suck, even if it's music you like. Maybe talk is better.

Second of all, mass com is the worst major ever, because every day they somehow find a way to remind you that you're never in a million years going to get a job. The sad part is they're usually trying to be helpful and positive. They're like, "Weeelll.... it is hard to make it in radio, but you have a better chance if you are willing to move all over the country and try to make contacts when you're in college act perky when you get their coffee when you're an intern and stuff." That always makes me MORE depressed, because I don't want to move all over the country, I don't want to bother making friends with people I don't like just to further my career, and I'm not perky. When I mentioned not being perky, the prof was all, "You seem perky right now," and I wanted to be all like, "Yeah, well I'm complaining right now. That's pretty much my favorite thing to do. Of course I'm perky. Different story when I'm getting someone's coffee."

Also, I love radio class. We get to do a lot of fun, creative stuff. But I don't think any entry level actual job I'd be getting would be that creative. Since I don't want to be a DJ, I'd be in sales or promotions. Selling and writing ads for the local used car lot doesn't really ring any creative bells for me. Promotions would be fun, but probably wouldn't really go anywhere.

So yes, I'm going to focus more on TV. And no, I don't really expect to get a TV job either. But at least I won't have to listen to Christina Aguilara.

No comments: