Saturday, April 08, 2006

Wiki Birthday Meme (snagged from Phoe from Elsewhere)

Do: Go to Wikipedia, enter your birthday (month/day). List three events, two births and a death.

Events:

1792 - The Postal Service Act, establishing the United States Post Office Department, is signed by President George Washington. (I picked this one because it was the only GOOD thing that happened that wasn't so trivial no one would ever remember it. I mean, not that people are like, I know when the Postal Service Act happened! But they would be like, "Oh, yeah, mail's good. And that band the Postal Service is pretty good too.)

1962 - Mercury program: While aboard Friendship 7, John Glenn orbits the earth three times in 4 hours, 55 minutes, becoming the first American to orbit the earth. (I think this would be cool that it happened on my birthday if I'd been alive at the time. But since we did way cooler things before and since then RE: space exploration, it's kind of boring, and I don't even have any memories from when it WAS the shit that the US had done that, seeing as how I wasn't alive).

1921 - The film The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, starring Rudolph Valentino, premieres. (I've seen it, it's pretty bad. But I'm prejudiced against most silent films. I just felt it was cool I had actually seen it. The funny thing is, I wonder how important a movie has to be to be listed on these? Because obviously there's nothing like, "Dude, Where's My Car?" on the list of events, but I was a film minor, and this is not a hugely significant film).

Births:

1967 - Kurt Cobain, American musician (Nirvana) (d. 1994) (that is kind of cool. I had not known anyone actually not lame had my birthday)

1975 - Brian Littrell, American musician (Backstreet Boys) (one time I read he had the same birthday as I do, and it stuck in my head for some reason. I rarely remember his name, just that he's a backstreet boy. Also, my sister was born on the same day as one fo the New Kids On The Block, so I think it's funny that we both have boy band guys. Lastly, I think it's funny that a backstreet boy and Kurt Cobain have the same birthday)

And I couldn't resist, but I have to list out a couple others I find interesting: Patty Hearst, Wayne Gretzky's brother, Charles Barkley.

2005 - Hunter S. Thompson, American journalist and author (b. 1937) (I have never read anything of his, but I like him because the spines of his books all say HUNTER S THOMPSON in gigantic black letters, and they're easily found when a customer wants them)

No comments: